“This study underscores how hard it is to fill a buprenorphine prescription for people with opioid use disorder.”
Medications for opioid use disorder (MOUD) – including buprenorphine – are widely considered to be a gold-standard of care for OUD. Adherence to MOUD has been shown to reduce ER visits, non-fatal drug overdoses, and healthcare costs.
In spite of the success of MOUD with buprenorphine, access to the medication continues to be a challenge.
Key findings include:
- What pharmacy chains were more likely to have buprenorphine stock?
- How did national and regional pharmacy chains perform relative to independent pharmacies?
- How does buprenorphine availability vary by state?
- Across the 32 states and 5,300 calls, what states were least likely to have stock?
- What states were most likely to have stock?
Download the White Paper
"In 2021, we saw over 75,000 opioid-related deaths in the U.S. — yet less than 10% of people accessed treatment, usually due to stigma, lack of accessibility, and the cost of treatment. This descriptive review is a major validation of Bicycle Health’s innovative telehealth model as we work to bring effective OUD treatment to patients across the country, and ultimately help more people live fulfilling lives free from opioid addiction."